[Fedora TeX Live] hyphenation in texlive 2011?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 14:10:34 CEST 2011

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 10:53, pip  wrote:

> Dear all,
> I can't get hyphenation working in any language I tried on my installation of texlive 2011 under Fedora 16. I'm not sure if it worked before, as I wasn't paying too much attention (esp. to the compilation log).
>
> I need croatian hyphenation rules, but those seem not to exist in texlive-collection-langcroatian.

First of all: I don't use Fedora, so I cannot say much about the
specifics of Fedora, but I can explain how it works in TeX Live.

Croatian hyphenation rules themselves are part of hyph-utf8 which is
part of collection-basic.

However the patterns are only loaded/turned on with package
hyphen-croatian which is part of collection-langcroatian.

In original TeX Live the package hyphen-croatian contains

execute AddHyphen name=croatian lefthyphenmin=2 righthyphenmin=2
file=loadhyph-hr.tex file_patterns=hyph-hr.pat.txt file_exceptions=

which writes something to language.dat, language.def and
language.dat.lua, all in
/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-var/tex/generic/config/. One has to add
that the same files also exist in
/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf/tex/generic/config, but the files in
texmf-var take precedence.

What does your
    kpsewhich language.dat
return you?

> Therefore I tried ngerman. And the result was:
>
> Package babel Warning: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for the language `ngerman'
>

> The file /usr/share/texlive/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat says
> german-x-2011-07-01 dehypht-x-2011-07-01.tex
> =german-x-latest
> ngerman-x-2011-07-01 dehyphn-x-2011-07-01.tex
> =ngerman-x-latest
>
> and I don't see how this translates to using language option "ngerman", the way it does for english=usenglish=USenglish=american.

It doesn't. You need to load hyphsubst package if you want ngerman
option in babel to point to german-x-date. In my language.dat file
there is also:

% from hyphen-german:
german loadhyph-de-1901.tex
ngerman loadhyph-de-1996.tex
swissgerman loadhyph-de-ch-1901.tex

(I'm not exactly sure if it was wise to add swissgerman or not.)

Mojca