[Fedora TeX Live] hyphenation in texlive 2011?

pip pip at net.hr
Sun Oct 23 19:16:32 CEST 2011

Thank you, Mojca.

>First of all: I don't use Fedora, so I cannot say much about the
>specifics of Fedora, but I can explain how it works in TeX Live.

I guess it should be the same. Jindrich will correct me if I'm wrong. Or make corrections if something's wrong in Fedora.

>Croatian hyphenation rules themselves are part of hyph-utf8 which is
>part of collection-basic.

I have texlive-hyph-utf8 installed, indeed. And there are croatian (HR) hyph rules.

>However the patterns are only loaded/turned on with package
>hyphen-croatian which is part of collection-langcroatian.

texlive-collection-langcroatian is also here

>In original TeX Live the package hyphen-croatian contains
>
>execute AddHyphen name=croatian lefthyphenmin=2 righthyphenmin=2
>file=loadhyph-hr.tex file_patterns=hyph-hr.pat.txt file_exceptions=
>
>which writes something to language.dat

This seems not to be the case. There's nothing new written to /usr/share/texlive/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat
Jindrich, can you help?

>What does your
>    kpsewhich language.dat
>return you?

# kpsewhich language.dat
/usr/share/texlive/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat

-----language.dat--------------------------------------------------------
english         hyphen.tex  % do not change!
=usenglish
=USenglish
=american

dumylang        dumyhyph.tex    %for testing a new language.
nohyphenation   zerohyph.tex    %a language with no patterns at all.
german-x-2011-07-01 dehypht-x-2011-07-01.tex
=german-x-latest
ngerman-x-2011-07-01 dehyphn-x-2011-07-01.tex
=ngerman-x-latest

>You need to load hyphsubst package if you want ngerman
>option in babel to point to german-x-date.

Ah... this is a bit inconvenient, and rather unknown option. I'd expect ngerman (croatian as well) point to the latest version of the rules. As a user of LyX, I think most of the people would expect this too --- that all is handled only with(in) babel.
Is there a systematic way of doing this in TeX Live?

ngerman-x-2011-07-01 dehyphn-x-2011-07-01.tex
=ngerman-x-latest
=ngerman % ???