[Fedora TeX Live] New pdflatex.fmt error

Jindrich Novy jnovy at redhat.com
Mon Aug 27 10:02:55 CEST 2012

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 10:07:30PM +0100, Colin Macdonald wrote:
> On 08/24/2012 11:25 AM, Jindrich Novy wrote:
> > Is there anyone else who fixed this problem by renaming
> > ~/.texlive2012 directory or removing fmt files from there?
>
> I always delete ~/.texlive2012 and /var/lib/texmf before doing
> texlive updates.

The problem is that I can not automate clearing old fmt files in
~/.texlive* directory as it is per-user. However I added automatic
deletion of generated fmt files in /var/lib/texmf/web2c/* upon upgrade
of texlive-base (i.e. every time when texlive sources are upgraded).
Hopefully this will fix the problem you see. It will occur with the
next reposync.

> In the past (maybe 6 months or 1 year ago?) I think I *had* to do
> this.  So I've done it "just in case" ever since.
>
> I forget if I've seen it reported here: but I also had some problems
> recently where some files in /usr/share/texlive/texmf/web2c were not
> updated and instead introduced with new names.  IIRC, the files were
> updmap.cfg and fmtutil.cnf.  It looked like some fedora mechanism
> for protecting config files but I didn't have time to investigate at
> the time.

The *.rpmsave files are just backups of original files. You can safely
ignore them.

Jindrich

--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy at redhat.com>   http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/
Kdo víno má a nepije, kdo hrozny má a nejí je, kdo ženu má a nelíbá,