[Fedora TeX Live] Announcing TeX Live 2012 repository

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 15:14:40 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 07:39, Jindrich Novy <jnovy at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm happy to announce the new TeX Live 2012 repository. Currently for
> Fedora 16 only. Here is the link to the RPM containing yum repository
> reference:
>
> http://jnovy.fedorapeople.org/texlive/2012/packages.f16/texlive-release-2012-0.1.20120307_r25577.fc16.noarch.rpm
>
> You may see problems while upgrading from 2011 so a fresh installation
> is recommended instead.

Hello,

I don't use linux at all and I welcome the fast development (many
distributions are still stuck with tetex), but isn't name TeX Live
2012 a bit misleading? The development of TL 2012 hasn't even started
yet.

Plan for TeX Live 2012:
2apr: sources committed, builds begin.
15apr: sources stable except for major bugs.
10may: tlnet frozen, tlpretest starts, CTAN updates only on request.
1jun: complete freeze for final build, no more updates, always more testing.
15jun: make final images for the TeX Collection DVD.
August?: delivery of DVDs to members.

People will end up installing TL 2012 (let's think of Septemeber
2012), thinking that they have the latest and greatest version and
maybe even start asking question about TL 2012 on the TeX Live mailing
list, while they will in fact get some random snapshot of TL 2011.
This might be still a lot better than getting TL 2010 and it might be
newer and better than the version of TL 2011 from summer 2011 (note
however that packages might get less testing if you fetch a random
snapshot; whatever people submit to CTAN gets accepted without
testing), but calling it TeX Live 2012 is not justified in my opinion.

Mojca