[Fedora TeX Live] Announcing TeX Live 2012 repository

Jindrich Novy jnovy at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 20:00:12 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 03:14:40PM +0100, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> I don't use linux at all and I welcome the fast development (many
> distributions are still stuck with tetex), but isn't name TeX Live
> 2012 a bit misleading? The development of TL 2012 hasn't even started
> yet.
>

> Plan for TeX Live 2012:
> 2apr: sources committed, builds begin.
> 15apr: sources stable except for major bugs.
> 10may: tlnet frozen, tlpretest starts, CTAN updates only on request.
> 1jun: complete freeze for final build, no more updates, always more testing.
> 15jun: make final images for the TeX Collection DVD.
> August?: delivery of DVDs to members.

This is actually a schedule when the development of TeX Live 2012
finishes. It is actually under development since the TL2011 as far as
I understand it.

> People will end up installing TL 2012 (let's think of Septemeber
> 2012), thinking that they have the latest and greatest version and
> maybe even start asking question about TL 2012 on the TeX Live mailing
> list, while they will in fact get some random snapshot of TL 2011.

People who install TL2012 now will have a development snapshot of
latest souces + latest CTAN packages. It is stable enough and its
development cycle comes to the end at 2nd April.

Jindrich

--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy at redhat.com>   http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/
Kdo víno má a nepije, kdo hrozny má a nejí je, kdo ženu má a nelíbá,