[Fedora TeX Live] Announcing TeX Live 2012 repository

Jindrich Novy jnovy at redhat.com
Fri Mar 9 03:09:49 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:00:24PM +0100, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 20:00, Jindrich Novy wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 03:14:40PM +0100, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> >> Plan for TeX Live 2012:
> >> 2apr: sources committed, builds begin.
> >> 15apr: sources stable except for major bugs.
> >> 10may: tlnet frozen, tlpretest starts, CTAN updates only on request.
> >> 1jun: complete freeze for final build, no more updates, always more testing.
> >> 15jun: make final images for the TeX Collection DVD.
> >> August?: delivery of DVDs to members.
> >
> > This is actually a schedule when the development of TeX Live 2012
> > finishes. It is actually under development since the TL2011 as far as
> > I understand it.
>
> Not exactly. Packages are constantly being updated, but they are all
> considered part of TL2011.

Once TeX Live 2011 is released the trunk branch where the development
goes on is 2012/dev:

http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Build/source/version.ac?r1=22088&r2=23187

Please stop confusing users. Current trunk branch is not related to
2011 at all.

> But please don't make a final TL2012 release for Fedora before TL2012
> is finalized. Else users will be confused. OK, LaTeX users who use old
> styles will hardly ever care or notice any difference and those who
> want to be on the bleeding edge install their own version. But if I
> was a Fedora user I wouldn't want to have version 2012 from March
> 2012.

I didn't mean it to be a final release. The main package is versioned
like texlive-2012-0.1.20120307_r25577 where the '0.1' as the release
gives user a hint that 2012 is still under development and has not
been released yet. So to make all clear it is just a TL2012 preview
release not recommended for production.

This is how we have done it since TL2010.

Jindrich

--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy at redhat.com>   http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/
Kdo víno má a nepije, kdo hrozny má a nejí je, kdo ženu má a nelíbá,