[Fedora TeX Live] Announcing TeX Live 2012 repository

Jussi Lehtola jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 9 17:29:20 CET 2012

On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 11:19:33 -0500
Bob Tennent <rdtennent at gmail.com> wrote:

> >You're saying that installing a TeX distribution by hand is easy for
> >novices? :D
>
> The TeXLive installer isn't "easy" but anyone who reads the
> documentation should be able to use it successfully.
>
> >I've been using Jindrich's packages for a long time now, and I've had
> >few problems. TeXLive 2011 has worked perfectly.
>
> It's improved from the days when I had to repeatedly uninstall and
> re-install thousands of packages. But the OP was complaining that
> texlive on F15 wasn't up-to-date on packages that he needed. Sending
> him to a texlive-2012 development release is surely not good advice.

Yes, I've been through that, too, in the TL2009 and TL2010 packages.
But I don't think I've had any problems with the TL2011 packages, since
the packaging system has matured. I'd definitely recommend using the
TL2011 packages, by installing

http://jnovy.fedorapeople.org/texlive/2011/packages.fc15/texlive-release-2011-5.20120115_r25109.fc15.noarch.rpm

TL2012 is currently a bad option for production, regardless of whether
one installs it manually or with Jindrich's packages.
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor
jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org