[Fedora TeX Live] Current license review status?

Jindrich Novy jnovy at redhat.com
Sat Sep 1 20:49:01 CEST 2012

On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 06:02:46PM +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Here:
>
> ... current implementation of font packaging macros enforces to have
> all TTF, TTC, PFA, PFB, PCF, OTF files in the same font family to be a
> separate subpackage of the main RPM shipping fonts. The problem is
> that the design of the macros allows only one subpackage per spec.
>
> But it's not excluded that I misunderstood the meaning. Just to make
> sure: in TeX live there are two font files:
>     <texmf</fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman12-regular.otf
>     <texmf>/fonts/type1/public/lm/lmr12.pfb
> with exactly the same font, except that one is OpenType and the other
> one is Type1.

Hmm, good catch. If some packages ship the same fonts just to be in
different formats then I could modify spec generator to ship the font
just in one preferred format. Not sure whether something will not break
for TeX Live users if they rely on specific font format to be around.

> From what I understand these two fonts have to belong to
> two different (sub)packages, but do the rules of Fedora allow those
> two files to be installed at the same time on someone's machine?

By installing of *fedora-fonts*.rpm package you will always get all
font formats.

> > If this
> > causes difficulties for fontconfig, it's not our problem.
>
> TeX fonts shouldn't confuse fontconfig unless fontconfig is configured
> to look for fonts in texmf tree.

Actually the Fedora macros treat the TeX Live fonts just like any
other font.

Jindrich

--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy at redhat.com>   http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/
Kdo víno má a nepije, kdo hrozny má a nejí je, kdo ženu má a nelíbá,