linux problem

Libor Pechacek farco na clnet.cz
Pátek Září 8 08:55:00 CEST 2000

Jiri Novak wrote:

> Wong Kim Lung wrote:
> >     I hv a www server in linux. If i want to know the transmission rate (or
> > even login/logout time and file downloaded) of a specific client who has
> > connected to my server, how can i do that? thx alot!

To the login/logout: As HTTP is stateless service, it has no
login/logout.  When client browses your web then takes a two hour
coffee-break and continues, you can't determine whether he trminated his
browser (and he logged out) or he just switched off the monitor and was
'logged in' all the time.

To the transmission rate: You would need to know the connection
start/stop time.  When also knowing the number of bytes, you can get
average transmission rate.  Look into you web-server documentation
whether it is able to log connection start time.  But I'm afraid that
most web servers don't provide this information.

> First - You are posting to CZECH listserv, why? I think there is a lot
> of international discussion boards/usenet newsgroups/mailing lists, so
> I'm curious where you found it, and why are you posting here? :)

Our colleague didn't post to czech listeserver but used a czech
newsgroup.  Study the 'Path:' header field of his message.

Second try to read meta-faq of this ML.  Definitely you will find that
english is allowed.

I am sad to see how xenophobic my fellow-citizens are.

L.P.

P.S.  To Wong Kim Lung:  cz.comp.linux is a conference about Linux
specific problems.  Web server general questions don't fit into this
mailing list.  Don't be confused that czechs post such messages here.
They just don't respect the rules. :(

If you would like to read the meta-faq it can be found at
http://www.linux.cz/mailing-list/ .

--
Libor Pechacek <farco na clnet.cz>; ISO-8859-2 ready
PGP key: http://www.clnet.cz/~farco/pgp.txt