FYI: Re: 2.2.0 printing problems (fwd)

Dan Ohnesorg dan na ohnesorg.cz
Čtvrtek Duben 26 22:55:19 CEST 2001

Zaznamenal jsem tu dotazy na potize s tiskem. Posilam relevantni prispevek
z samba konference.

zdravim
dan

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:04:51 -0500 (CDT)
From: Gerald Carter <gcarter na valinux.com>
To: Mark Peters <admin na galax.ca>
Cc: "rrohde na wfubmc.edu" <rrohde na wfubmc.edu>, samba na samba.org
Subject: Re: 2.2.0 printing problems

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Mark Peters wrote:

> Please explain your response about NT4 kernel mode drivers vis-a-vis
> w2k (or point me in the right direction).

The short version is that a win2k client can use NT4 print drivers.

> Here's the situation.  I have 30 nt's (sp6) working with samba server #1
> (rh5.1 samba 1.9..., standard workgroup stuff, no domain stuff, nothing
> fancy). All network printing is working great.  Now i bring up a new
> server #2 (rh7.0 samba 2.0.7).  File services to the new server work
> fine.  I want to add additional print icons binding the existing
> (installed) drivers to the new server on each workstation. I do this by
> selecting
>
> Start|Settings|Printers|Add Printer

> Now i install 2.2.0:  i repeat the above mentioned seuqence.  However,
> the driver list does not appear; instead i get a dialog box asking for
> some missing .inf file, to which i respond by typing the location of a
> directory on my nt (containing the inf and driver), to which the
> dialog reports some kind of server error.

I have just updated the printing HOWTO on samba.org to clarify this.
One of the prices to pay for implementing MSRPC printing
functionality as the way we designed Samba to work around it, is
that you **must** install an NT4 driver for NT clients
before you can connect.  We are looking at this again to see if there
is a better way, but right now this is it.

So follow the instructions in the printing HOWTO (get the
updated Samba-HOWTO-Collections from samba.org) and install
a driver for the printer on the Samba server.  Then just
download the driver to the clients.  It is a fairly simple process.
Sorry for the confusion.

Note that Win9x clients do not require this, and act just as
under 2.0.

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter na valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry na samba.org