[Fedora TeX Live] "Ghost maps" otf-noEmbed.map, ptex-noEmbed.map

Michael J Gruber michaeljgruber+gmane at fastmail.fm
Mon Dec 5 21:59:15 CET 2011

Michael J Gruber venit, vidit, dixit 05.12.2011 15:59:
> On an F15 with TL2007 upgraded to TL2011, maketexlsr followed by updmap
> (as ordinary user) gives

> /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/tex-gyre/qzc.map
> /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/txfonts/txfonts.map
> /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/psnfss/utopia.map
>

> ERROR:  The following map file(s) couldn't be found:
>         otf-noEmbed.map ptex-noEmbed.map
>
>         Did you run mktexlsr?
>
>         You can delete non-existent map entries using the option
>           --syncwithtrees.
>
> Rerunning with --syncwithtrees does not help: Those 2 maps are not in my
> local config nor in the installed tree config:
>
> find /usr/share/texlive/ /usr/share/texmf/ -type f -print0|xargs -0
> egrep 'ptex-noEmbed|otf-noEmbed.map'
> /usr/share/texlive/texlive.tlpdb:
> RELOC/fonts/map/dvipdfmx/japanese-otf/otf-noEmbed.map
> /usr/share/texlive/texlive.tlpdb:
> texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvipdfmx/ptex/ptex-noEmbed.map
>
> updamp --disable Map=... dies not help either.
>
> Where does updmap get the idea from that these are required?
>
> (texlive-japanese-otf and texlive-ptex provide them, but repo has a
> hick-up, and I don't want these packages anyway.)
>
> This results (because of the error) in an empty local map which
> obviously is suboptimal...
>
> Michael

Okay, I have found the offenders in
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg:

KanjiMap otf- at kanjiEmbed@.map
#! KanjiMap otf-cktx.map
#! KanjiMap morisawa.map
KanjiMap ptex- at kanjiEmbed@.map

Maybe those option-macrofied entries don't get disabled as they should
with --syncwithtrees?

Is commenting them out by hand the proper fix? (It works, but for how long?)

Michael