[Fedora TeX Live] packages.fc15 has F16 packages only

Michael J Gruber michaeljgruber+gmane at fastmail.fm
Tue Dec 6 15:35:19 CET 2011

José Matos venit, vidit, dixit 06.12.2011 11:35:
> On 12/06/2011 08:23 AM, Michael J Gruber wrote:
>> Maybe everyone here knows these things? There ought to be a better place
>> for noting these gotchas than answering my own posts here. We want to
>> welcome new users trying out TL2011 in Fedora, don't we?
>>
>> Michael
>
> Actually that piece of information was given by Jindrich some months
> ago. :-)

So the answers is: You don't want new users, unless they dig in the
mailing list archives?

> The idea is that the noarch packages don't need to be rebuild for
> different versions of Fedora. Sometimes the same happens on Fedora but
> the other way around, there are noarch packages build for F14 that do
> not need to be rebuilt for later version unless there are major changes
> (like the rpm format itself, or the directory layout changed, things
> that fortunately do not happen frequently).

Sure, but that is very different. They are simply not being rebuilt for
newer versions. You can expect them to work in higher versions, or they
would have been rebuilt. It is typical to have "lower versioned"
packages, but not the other way round.

Michael